I had such a busy month of March, I almost forgot this week marks my second full year since leaving my corporate job to focus full-time on photography. At the time, I remember it was very exciting, but also very terrifying! It was such a huge change in my life and it takes a tremendous amount of faith in yourself to take such a big risk.
Photography had been a huge part of my life for years already. I had been shooting weddings and lots of sporting events on weekends for several years. Entrepreneurship is in my blood and I dreamed of being my own boss, setting my own hours and focusing on the work I love! Every day has not been easy, but I have learned so much about myself and grown in so many ways. Here are a few things I have learned along the way:
- 7am is my favourite time of day. My husband leaves for work and I settle in for at least 2 solid hours at my desk crossing things off my to-do list. Usually the phone doesn’t ring and no-one replies to email, so it is always my most productive and focused time of the day.
- Our world is run on the hard work of so many small business owners. I love working with small, local businesses whenever I can.
- My free time no longer lines up with the free time of most people in my life. When I want to take a Thursday afternoon off, everyone is at work. When friends plan a get together on a Saturday night, I am at work. This means making time for people in my life is more important than ever.
- Schedules and routines are so important to me! Some small business owners will tell you the opposite, but for me routines are how I stay organized and ensure some work/life balance.
- 80% of my work doesn’t involve touching a camera at all! There are 100 other things that go into running a business and being a photographer, so every time I do get to shoot, I love every minute of it!
- I don’t handle “alone time” as well as I thought I would. I am a naturally introverted person, so I thought working alone at home would be an easy transition for me. But it took a lot of adjusting! I didn’t realize how much I would miss having a co-worker to turn and have a 2 minute chat with every once and a while. Some days I go to the gym or yoga class just for the human interaction!
- Support from the people in my life is so important. My husband and I both have a million things going on in our lives, but we keep each other sane by making time to support whatever the other is doing. We are also much happier when we make time to take days off together.
- Networks are important. You will receive most of your business from people who already trust you. Plus I have so many friends and family that will listen to me and help me work thru things in my business.
- Growing and changing is constant. You have to stay plugged into what is happening in the world and what your clients want.
So if you have made it this far and are still reading, thank you for your support! I am looking forward to a busy summer and another great year of growth in my business and my life!
After a lot of hard work through the beginning of this year, I was so proud to launch a brand new sujataphotography.com last week! Anyone who has ever built a website from the ground up knows how much work is involved and how exciting it is when you finally release it into the world wide web!
As a photographer, I think it is very important to provide a personalized and custom experience. In creating this new website, I spent a lot of introspective time trying to make sure who I am and what I do in my business shines through on the web. In particular, the About and Info sections of the website contain a lot of information meant to help prospective clients make an educated decision about their photography needs.
Besides all the pages and information you can see, this new website is going to allow me to bring an entirely new experience to all my clients. Here are a few of things I am working on for all my clients this upcoming year:
This will be a special section of the website dedicated to providing detailed information to current and inquiring clients. It will have detailed information on all of my pricing and products and will help clients through the booking process.This part of the website is still under development, but if you would like to take a look when it’s done, just drop me a note!
Plus sites are a bonus feature we will be offering to all our existing and new wedding and engagement clients. These are like mini websites built just for you! They will have a custom URL, and will feature photos from your engagement session (and eventually your wedding), the story of your relationship and any details about your wedding that you want to share with your guests. I am so excited to built my first plus site and share it with everyone, so stay tuned!
When you have photos taken, where is the first place you want to put them? Facebook, right? You want all your friends and family to see and share your photos. So, I have decided to stop distributing digital files on DVD and instead I will be using PASS. PASS is an online file storage system for your photos. If you decide to purchase the digital files from a session with Sujata Photography, you will now receive a beautiful PASS gallery where you can download the high resolution files, share and tag on Facebook, and view all your photos on the go from a mobile device.
I can’t wait to start offering all these features to my clients! If any of these have peaked your interest in booking a session or your wedding with us, please send me an email: email@example.com